From the President Terry Jones
FOL ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP DRIVE, SEPTEMBER 18 – 22, 2017
WHAT!? You are not a member of the Friends of
the Library of Flagler County?
I mean, the County has been around for 100 years. The Library has been a presence since 1978, and was founded by volunteers and “friends” in the community who eventually became the first members of the incorporated, Friends of the Library. On February 19, 1987, the Board of County Commissioners passed an ordinance, establishing the Flagler County Library Department, making this the 30 year anniversary of the official Flagler County Public Library. However, don’t forget about that earlier history of the local volunteers and Friends founding this library that was eventually turned over to the County. We almost have a 40 year history to be proud of! You now have an opportunity to become a part of this successful, supportive group! You can join at our Annual Membership Drive being held September 18 – 22.
YES! SIGN ME UP! I want to be a member of the Friends of the Library. I want to show my support for the Library!
There, see how easy that was? Now, for some details so you know how to sign up.
· If you got our newsletter, you are probably already a Friends member; that’s one of the perks. We will be mailing you a renewal letter at the beginning of October so you can renew your membership at that time.
· To encourage new members, please pass your newsletter on to a friend, neighbor or family member and encourage them to join during the membership drive, 9/18 – 22.
· A table will be set up in the foyer of the Library and staffed by Friends volunteers who can answer your questions and help you sign up.
· New members will receive a packet of information about the Library and Friends as well as a small token of appreciation for joining. Plus, you will get an invitation to the Wine and Cheese Social.
Benefits for being a member of the FOL include:
· Receiving copies of the newsletter, From the Stacks, featuring a calendar of upcoming events.
· Receiving an invitation to the Annual Wine and Cheese Social; a member’s only event.
· Getting advance notices of special events and an invitation to the Annual Business Meeting and Author’s Luncheon.
· Being invited to two members only preview book sales held in April and November.
· Becoming a member of our email list which provides reminders of upcoming programs, newly added programs and events as well as updated Library changes and Board of County Commissioner agenda items that may impact the Library.
Please help us meet our membership drive objectives of adding at least 60 more members! Recruit a Friend in September and renew your membership in October. We love having you as our Friend!
WINE AND CHEESE SOCIAL
As usual, the Membership Drive will culminate with our Annual Wine and Cheese Social. This is a members only invitation event which this year will be held on Friday, 9/22. This annual event is enjoyed by our Friends members who look forward to the opportunity to socialize and listen to some great musical entertainment. Our FOL Executive Board members and Hospitality Committee work hard to make it a special event so that we can also say thank you to everyone for your continued support!
Your invitation will provide details, but as usual, we will be serving wine and cheese in both the Meeting Room and the Doug Cisney Room. The Library closes at 6:00pm but will re-open shortly thereafter to let the festivities begin! At 7:00pm, we will gather in the main section of the Library for the entertainment. Food and beverages are not allowed in the main section of the Library, but, based on availability, will still be served in the Meeting Room.
At the request of several Friends members, this years entertainment will be provided by local county singer, Bobby Meeks. He is a local favorite who has been performing his classic country songs in the area for the past 14 years. His "Solid Gold Country Classics" include traditional country music with selections from Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Garth Brooks, and many more (including Jimmy Buffett.) Please join us for this tasty, fun and entertaining evening. If you are so inclined, please put on your hat and boots and plan to “get down”!
FOL Accomplishments 2017
This is a short listing of some of the things the Friends of the Library paid for, sponsored or participated in for fiscal year 2017. We realize the year isn’t quite over, so there are several months of upcoming events which we will also be sponsoring. You can see what some of those programs are by looking at Mark Your Calendars.
· Sponsored Library Director and 2 additional staff members to attend the annual Florida Library Association conference in Orlando.
· Participated in and sponsored three Flagler County Centennial events: Glorious Victorians at Cheer at the Pier; The Three Wives of Henry Flagler at the 4/29 kickoff; provided refreshments and volunteer help at the movie showing of The Creature from the Black Lagoon.
· Held 5 Book/Bake sales for the fiscal year 2017, averaging $2500 in sales per event.
· Awarded 9 $1000 scholarships to local high school students, including one graduate of a library staff member.
· Held a very successful FRT event featuring Jack Clegg’s book, “The History of Flagler County”. We held 7 events in March with attendance of 445 people.
· Held an additional 6 events, (not including FRT), from January through August that had an attendance of 470 people.
· Bought new task stools for the Library staff as well as stools for the new computer counter in Bunnell.
· Sponsored a Volunteer Lunch in April for all Library volunteers.
· Provided a pizza lunch for Library staff for National Library Worker’s Day as part of National Library Week.
· Bought new seating for the Palm Coast children’s department which allows children and parents to sit and read to one another.
· Bought a new lighter, swivel chair for the Friends Book Shop.
· Sponsored summer reading programs for young adults and children, including, for the first time, 3 summer reading programs in Bunnell.